Sunday, February 1, 2015

Winter Festivities!

Hello again!
It's been a little over a week since my last blog post and a lot has happened since then! I last left you with excitement of the Snow White production! I was able to attend two shows of Snow White to admire both casts and all the hard work they put into creating such a marvelous show!

The first bit of exciting news that I can share with you is all the work I am getting involved in and started with my platform, the March of Dimes! I am very excited about all of this and can't wait to get more of you involved with me!  I met with Chris who is the State Director for the March of Dimes and we quickly got to know each other and clicked with our mutual interest of helping babies! We talked about all the events that are coming up that include; the March for Babies Iowa City walk kickoff event, Advocacy Day in Des Moines and the various walks around Iowa!  I look forward to being involved in all these events, hearing the stories of others, sharing my brothers story and making a difference. Another thing I have in the works that I am excited about is a sorority tour that I will be launching soon! I am not a mother of a premature baby, but I am a sibling and I am aware of it.  I am a role model and I can relate to women my age, whose next step in life is to start a family and if I can help educate women on the importance of taking Folic Acid during pregnancy and I can make then aware of the March of Dimes before they need it then I am going to do it!  Being a sorority woman myself, I look forward to not only revisiting my chapter of Alpha Chi Omega, but to also being welcomed in all of the chapters! Lastly, because of my personal story, passion and drive, Chris invited me to be apart of the State board for the March of Dimes so I can help make a difference not just in Iowa City or Muscatine but around the entire state! Look forward to my next blog post going more in depth of what the March of Dimes is and what they do, as well as mine and my brothers story!

The next big thing of my week was the Winter Festival in Muscatine.  Kristen and I were able to drive together and spend the day volunteering together!  This was such a fun part of the whole experience because volunteering with a friend is always more fun than alone! The first thing I did was color with all the kids that arrived for winter fun.  When it was 1pm it was time for the first activity of winter festival which was the golf ball hunt.  Kristen and I were able to hand out prizes to the kids once they found their share of golf balls in the snow!
I think we enjoyed the prizes more than the kids did ;)

The next event was the snow sculpture contest!  Kristen and I didn't know what to expect going into this competition but boy were we surprised!! There were 12 different teams that created such wonderful and unique sculptures!  The teams were only allowed to use themselves and the snow to create their sculptures and they had one hour to do it!  While being a judge was tough, a winner had to be picked.  
Kristen with the Eiffel tower sculpture that received second place!
Me with the whale sculpture that took home the grand prize and a pool party!
Also while we were there we tried our hand at the golf simulator!  Not going to lie when I tried I missed the ball not one, not two but three times!!  The fourth time though, I hit it out of the park, at least I think!  Let't just say if I try to golf again I will take off the crown, sash, and heels!  But I don't see myself turning into a pro-golfer any time soon.

Once again I had a wonderful time in Muscatine and was welcomed with open arms!  Before I go though, I want to take a second to thank all of our wonderful sponsor that the Muscatine board has secured us!! I have had a blast working out with Jon and can't wait to get two more workouts in with him this week! Jennifer keeps my nutrition fun and on point, we have a wonderful time video calling and discussing different recipes to try! She makes it so that nutrition doesn't feel like a chore and I don't get sick of eating the right way.  Lastly, Heather and Stacey at Le Chic have a wonderful way of making you feel apart of the family!  Kristen and I were able to stop by and see them during a break at the Winter Festival, even though it was a short visit it was sure sweet!! I can't wait to begin my wardrobe search with them shortly!  

Stay tuned this week for workouts, March for Babies Kickoff, Dance Marathon, Miss Greater Des Moines/Miss Metro Pageant and more!!
XO- Miss Pearl City, Christy Scimeca
The road will be long, but sometimes you have to make smaller goals so you can reach big ones! 

No comments:

Post a Comment