Friday, May 27, 2011

Herbert Hoover Elementary School

Greetings!

The days have been flying past as Miss Iowa approaches. In 8 days (8 days!) I leave for Miss Iowa week. My time has been spent at the gym, reading current events, practicing the harp, and planning wardrobe. I have also been traveling a lot, going to mock interviews, getting dresses altered, and making appearances.

Last Monday, I went to Muscatine for a Lia Sophia jewelry party, hosted by Vicki Plett who is one of the fabulous Miss Pearl City/Miss Muscatine board members. After the party, we were able to fit in a mock interview with several members of the board. I could not ask for a better board of directors. They are so supportive, so motivating, and so dedicated to this program. Thank you to all of the board members, especially Ashley Brown, Kindra Plett, Vicki Plett, and Michelle Hunt. You are stars!

This past weekend I traveled home to West Des Moines and was lucky enough to have a mock interview with a fantastic group of judges. They asked challenging questions and gave great feedback that will really help my preparations.

Last weekend I also traveled to Cedar Falls and Lamount to celebrate my boyfriend’s graduation from The University of Iowa. Congratulations, Stephen!

On Wednesday, I visited Herbert Hoover Elementary School in Bettendorf. My pageant sister Jessica, Miss Pearl City’s Outstanding Teen, has been working with this class of second graders now for several weeks, instructing them on how to live healthy lives. I am so impressed with everything that Jessica has been able to do over this past semester. She would be a wonderful Miss Iowa’s Outstanding Teen. Today was the last day that she met with the class, so she invited me as a special guest to reward the students’ hard work. I never cease to be amazed with the students that I have worked with. These students were great listeners and were eager to participate and learn. As you probably know, my platform is centered on children’s dental health. Even when I speak with adults, community groups, and legislators, my focus is always on the children that I can impact. Being able to directly work with children is, without doubt, what I enjoy doing most as Miss Pearl City.


Jessica and I with Mrs. Bengston's second-grade class.


I went around the room and let any student be a prince or princess for the day!


Listening to a question from one of the students.


Getting ready for the plaque-revealing activity. Travis was a great volunteer!

Later that afternoon, Ashley and Vicki stopped by my house in Iowa City to help me get organized for Miss Iowa. I have never been a light packer, but I always have tons of clothes, shoes, jewelry, and makeup to take to Miss Iowa. After all, Miss Iowa needs to look her very best at all times.

Yesterday I drove to Columbus Junction to meet with Michelle Hunt, one of the Miss Pearl City board members. We spent a lot of time talking about current events and potential interview questions. Michelle’s expertise is invaluable.

This weekend I’m traveling back home again for another mock interview and some much-needed time with my family. This was a busy week and it gave me a real sense of what life would be like as Miss Iowa. I can’t wait for the competition in just under two weeks!

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment