Monday, May 2, 2011

Neil Armstrong Elementary

Greetings! A lot has happened in the last week since I posted.

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I had a photo session with Ben Shirk of Shirk Photography and the images have now been posted! Here a couple of the photos from that session:






On Wednesday, I had meetings with several Iowa legislators planned in Des Moines. However, as those of you who have been following state politics know, the Democrats left the legislature on Tuesday night for the whole week and the Republicans barred themselves into conference. Unfortunately, this meant that all of my meetings were cancelled! Public policy is one of the main pillars of my platform and talking to legislators is one of my favorite things to do. While it was disappointing not to be able to go, I am lucky and excited that I will be able to visit Iowa’s national senators and representatives in Washington, D.C. in just one week.

On Friday, I visited Neil Armstrong Elementary School in Bettendorf to present to two second-grade classrooms. Jessica Erbst, Miss Pearl City’s Outstanding Teen, joined me for the morning and it was wonderful to be able to bond with her over our mutual passion for helping kids live healthier lives. I was very impressed at her ability to connect with the students and spark their interest in her platform. As always, it was an absolute joy to visit with the students! At the end of the second presentation, the kids all surrounded me and gave me big hugs. One little boy keep coming back for extra hugs (I think he gave me five all told!).


Jessica and I with the first class.


During the presentation. If you look at my PowerPoint, you can actually see a picture of my teeth that I use for an example.


During my presentation.


With the second class. You can see the little boy just peeking his head over my shoulder. What a sweetie!


Jessica and I were on the homepage for Neil Armstrong this week! I snipped a shot of the homepage. Look at the website for yourself: http://na.bettendorf.k12.ia.us/

Saturday was Miss Iowa Orientation in Davenport at the beautiful Hotel Blackhawk. It was wonderful to finally meet all of the contestants! From just our one day together, I can already tell that Miss Iowa week will be a great week. Now that Miss Iowa Orientation has passed, I really feel like Miss Iowa is just right around the corner. I can’t wait for June!

I am actually taking all of my final exams this week, so this post has been a break from studying. I guess I should get back to reading about Recruiting (for my Staffing and Talent Management final) and the Basel Convention (for my International Law final). Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment