Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My First Time in Mt. Pleasant


Wow! Today I visited Van Allen Elementary in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and I have to say, the city of Mt. Pleasant is home to some of the most hospitable people and enthusiastic children I have ever met.

Classroom by classroom, I visited students in grades 2 through 5 to deliver more of my Snacking Smart from A to Z cookbooks and to talk with students about the importance of healthy snacking. Many of them were surprised to learn that I did not know much about nutritious eating when I was their age; in fact, I told them that I frequently ate fruit roll-ups, ice cream, and candy bars without thinking of how it would impact my performance in school, sports, and life, for that matter.


We discussed several of the snack ideas included in Snacking Smart from A to Z, but we also addressed unhealthy snacks and how they can hinder performance. I asked students to think of food as fuel, and their bodies as engines. I told them that if they filled their bodies with unhealthy foods, it was similar to filling their engines with fuel caked with dirt and junk that would not allow it to function as well.


We talked about their goals and dreams. I heard about students who wanted to be doctors, lawyers, police officers, football players, and actresses. In each case, the students helped each other identify ways that healthy eating and physical activity could help them achieve their dream, or be important to them in their future job.


I was thoroughly impressed with the great ideas all of the kids came up with when we talked about ways they could help their family members become healthier. Some even had suggestions for how to keep their pets healthy! There is never a dull moment :)


During lunch, I was fortunate to receive a tour from Valerie Unkrich, a professor at Iowa Wesleyan College in Mt. Pleasant. Iowa Wesleyan, along with the Iowa Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (IAHPERD), is a huge sponsor of my platform this year, which allows me to distribute so many cookbooks. I am so grateful for their support. Valerie attended many of my classroom sessions today and was so fun to spend time with throughout the morning.


I handed out several hundred of my books today, and was happy to hear many students say they were going to try some of the snacks, and even help their parents with the grocery shopping to make sure they got some healthier snacks in the house.


This was such a rewarding and impactful day; for both the students and me.


I can't wait for the next adventure!
Best,
Jennifer

1 comment: