Saturday, May 15, 2010

Adventures in Eastern Iowa

On Friday, I had the wonderful honor of visiting Wilkins Elementary in Marion, Iowa, to distribute more of my Snacking Smart from A to Z cookbooks to all of the first graders in the school. I began each presentation with a discussion about the MyPyramid food groups and the impact of added fats and sugar on nutritional value. Then, we combed through several of the recipes in my cookbook, and sampled fresh fruit kabobs, which is the recipe under the letter "F" in Snacking Smart from A to Z. The kids loved it! Some of them even said they had ideas for how to make their own fruit kabobs at home, which is exactly what I like to hear.






Later in the morning, I visited Summit Pointe, a retirement community in Marion, and performed several pieces on the piano for about 30 of the residents. They were able to hear a special preview of my Miss Iowa talent, Chopsticks, and I also played two of my favorite Lorie Line pieces. What a great day!




Stay tuned for more updates next week!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment