Thursday, January 4, 2018

Retirement at 21 and some pageant tips



WOW has it really been a year since I was crowned Miss Pearl City 2017!?!? So many things have happened during my short time in pageantry, and I am so thankful for he opportunities I have had. From my first days volunteering on the Red Route for Meals on Wheels at the Muscatine Resource Center, I have been passionate about serving Muscatine.

Now my time as Miss Pearl City (and pageantry in general) is coming to an end. In a few short days another capable young woman will be crowned and start her journey. I am so excited for her! She will have the amazing board and sponsors that I had, the same time until Miss Iowa Week, and the same amazing city to represent.

SO now that it is 2018 here are some tips for those competing in pageantry this year!

1. Be Informed! Know what is going on in local, state, and national government. Watch or read the news twice a day. Not only for the interview portion, but to be more informed about the world and climate around you.  What are you passionate about and interested in!?

2. Be YOU- this is so cliche, right? But the judges are looking for someone who is authentically themselves during interview and onstage question. They aren't looking for someone who agrees with their own opinions but someone who has eloquence when speaking their own.

3. Who cares if you eat those donuts? - everybody from Miss Iowa Week knows that I love donuts (so does Miss Iowa Chelsea ;) ) and that they are an important food group to me. TRUST ME when I say that one donut in the year leading up to Miss Iowa is not going to break your pageant body. Use it as carbs to fuel your next workout!

4. Enjoy the sisterhood that you hear so much about- There is only 1 Miss Iowa every year. There are countless women who compete for locals, 16+ women who compete for Miss Iowa. and a bunch of us may never reach the top title of Miss America. It's good to make friends with these women! stop thinking about other women as competition and start thinking of everyone as potential new best friends :) Build each other up and enjoy everyone's individual strengths

5. Have a support system. For me, it's my family and my board. For some, it's their best friend and pets. Have someone you can talk to that will build you up and stoke your self esteem. No one can be confident about themselves all the time. But a good support system can help with interview questions, finalize that last note in your talent, or help with that last minute wardrobe malfunction.

There's my list of tips for future and current competitors. Thank you for a fabulous year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment