Monday, April 17, 2017

4 Points: Scholarship

This is the first of 4 blog posts I am doing about the 4 points of the  crown! I was lucky enough to snap this beautiful shot on the Iowa State University campus today and was thrilled about how it turned out. I absolutely love living in a state where we get to experience and enjoy all of the seasons. The first amazing day of the year on this beautiful campus reminded me of one of the great points of the crown: Scholarship! Here's why it's so important to me.

I decided on Iowa State University because of the beautiful campus, abundance of clubs and teams (800+!!) and the great major programs they offer. It was also closest to my family home in Des Moines and I earned the President's Scholarship for academic excellence.

My best friend and I picked a dorm room, packed up a futon and a few plates, and moved in! Little did we know how hard those first few months would be. Parents say the transition period is hard, but how right they are! Trying to make new friends, all the homework, and being away from home for months at a time is not an easy task. It did not make it easy to focus on learning or planning for my future. When my roommate dropped out of school during a tear-filled first semester I was left all alone in a still-cramped, depressing, dimly lit dorm room. The only solution was to get more involved in clubs on campus and dedicate myself to my studies.

IT WORKED! I learned that for me it is so much easier to be dedicated to scholarship when you're doing something you love. I joined the competitive ballroom dance team (treasurer), Red Shoe Club (treasurer), DIY Craft Club (treasurer), Kappa Alpha Theta (Homecoming Community Service Chair), and the Society for Human Resource Management. I also chose a major- Business Management and decided to pursue a master's degree in Healthcare Administration. This plan made it easier and easier to dedicate myself to my studies. By 2015 I had made the Dean's list and was thriving here at Iowa State. It was very difficult for me to continue school after my organ removal surgery but I was too determined! I absolutely love learning and applying my skills. I'm thrilled that my dedication paid off and I will be graduating early in December and starting Grad school early in January!
Scholarship is easy, once you make a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment