Monday, January 17, 2011

Newly Crowned and Ready to Go!

On Saturday, January 8th, I was honored to become Miss Pearl City 2011. I am very excited to serve the Muscatine community and to prepare for Miss Iowa in June. My goal is to post an entry at least once a week, but I thought it would be best to introduce myself first. Currently, I am a junior at the University of Iowa studying Human Resource Management and Entrepreneurial Management. I am very involved on campus as Communications Director of Associated Iowa Honors Students and the violist in The Bird String Quartet and am also very active in my business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi and as a member of the business honors society, Beta Gamma Sigma. In my free time, I love to spend time with my friends and family, run, play the harp and piano, bake, and read anything that I can get my hands on.

I am very excited to compete for the title of Miss Iowa for the third time this summer. Over the last two years, I promoted my platform of Cultural Awareness and Involvement and educated groups of both youth and adults about the importance of cultural understanding and the need to be involved in the diversity of our great state and nation. This is an issue very near and dear my heart, as I have traveled internationally my entire life and have hosted several exchange students from around the world. The importance of cultural awareness and involvement is a topic that I will forever praise, but I have made the decision to adopt a different platform to promote as Miss Pearl City. As the daughter of a dentist, I was raised to recognize the need for proper oral care and have been involved with the Iowa Dental Association, American Dental Association, and American Pediatric Association of Dentists for as long as I have been volunteering. The importance of dental care has been such an integral part of my life, but it wasn’t until I attended the Iowa Mission of Mercy (IMOM) this past October that I considered this topic as the foundation of my platform. At this charitable event, in which over $1.6 million in dental care was provided for people across the state, I saw thousands of Iowans, both children and adults, who lacked proper dental care and realized the impact that detail health had on the lives of individuals. This year as Miss Pearl City, I will promote the issue of dental care for children, focusing primarily on education and prevention. I already have many exciting events planned and will update you as they are put into motion.

I feel guilty for having waiting over a week to post this first entry, but I do have a good excuse. I was actually in Las Vegas supporting Miss Iowa Pauli Mayfield as she competed for the title of Miss America. I will leave you in suspense now to the details, but, be assured; I will give the full scoop of that great experience with many, many pictures.

For now,
Elizabeth Davidson

No comments:

Post a Comment